The St. Andrews Ladies' Golf Club in Scotland was the first golf club for women. For 600 years, golf has been played on the grassy peninsular, the Links, just to the north of the town, St. Andrews. St Andrews is recognized as the 'home of golf' and the home to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club. The Royal and Ancient Golf Club, established in 1754 in St. Andrews, Scotland, was golf's leading authority, administering the rules of the game and running the Open Championship. The first 18-hole course, the world famous "Old Course," was constructed at St. Andrews and became the standard.
In the 19th century, female sports was limited to croquet and archery. In 1867, some members of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, with an interest in providing recreation for their daughters, founded the St. Andrews Ladies' Golf Club. For the first 30 years, the women's club conducted its affairs from tents on competition days until 1898 when permission was obtained to erect a shelter. As golfing for women became more popular in the late nineteenth century, the Ladies' Golf Union was formed in 1893. The St. Andrews Ladies' Golf Club changed its name to the Ladies' Putting Club in 1948. Its members play on the Himalayas, the historic putting green alongside of the Old Course.
Victorian Golf Cartoons
A series of Victorian golf pictures by famed 19th century sports illustrator, Arthur Burdett Frost, showing golfers on golf courses.
History of Golf
The history of the greatest game ever played, written by Henry Howland.
Golf Sports Prints - 1895
Antique golf prints by A.B. Frost. Golf pictures of golf courses and golfing scenes from the late nineteenth century.