The Midway Plantation was constructed in 1848 along the wagon trail in Wake County, North Carolina that became U.S. Route 61. The two-story plantation house, built by Charles Lewis Hinton for his son David, got its name Midway because of its location between 2 other Hinton Plantations - Beaverdam and The Oaks.
The structure represented a restrained version of the broad, symmetrical Greek Revival style. The Midway Plantation main house had four rooms lining a center hall on the first floor.
The Midway Plantation structure was a wood frame with lapped siding. The foundation was of brick and stone as were the chimneys. The stone was said to have been quarried on site.
Southern plantations were compounds consisting of not only buildings but fields, pastures, gardens, and work spaces. Midway Plantation had several outbuildings including a kitchen, carriage house, and several slave quarters. There was also a smokehouse, potato house, well house, ice house, cotton gin, loom house, doll house, office, school, and two stables.
In 2005, the family sold 34 acres of the Midway Plantation property to a developer to build a regional shopping center. The plantation house and remaining outbuildings were then moved 3 miles north of Midway's original site to escape the ensuing urban sprawl on Highway 64. The house has since been restored following historical guidelines that includes faux painting to match period samples from the 1850s. In 2007 Midway Plantation was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
[Architectural Drawings: Library of Congress, loc.gov/pictures/collection/hh/item/nc0095]