Sometimes all is needed is a vibrant and bright fabric remnant to create an unusual accent pillow with little effort. Most throw pillows are particularly suggestive of comfort and are used for that purpose rather than for an ornamental one. However, if an accent pillow is made of unique fabrics and trimming or decorated with hand embroidery which harmonizes with the color scheme of the room, it will add a decided touch of beauty to it. You don’t need to break the bank to have a designer throw pillow; just take advantage of the many free pillow ideas available featuring color photographs of finished projects and easy-to-follow directions for making decorative pillows.
• Basic sewing supplies
• White or blue thread
• Iron & ironing surface
For best results, please read all free pillow ideas instructions before beginning project. Refer to photo for color and design placement.
1. For a 16"x16" accent pillow, cut one 17"x17" square of denim fabric for the front. For the back of pillow, cut one 10"x17" and one 13"x17" rectangle to create a pillow envelope. NOTE: Cut off frayed/selvage edge of fabric and save for center of fabric flower in step 9.
2. To give the accent pillow envelope a nice edge, fold both 10"x17" and 13"x17" pieces 1" at top against back of fabric and iron in place. Stitch in place.
3. Place 17"x17" denim right side up and 10"x17" on 13"x17" pieces overlapping each other face down on 17" square piece. Pin in place and sew a 1/2" seam around entire square. Clip all four corners and turn accent pillow right side out through envelope opening.
4. Cut out petal template and trace shape onto blue, yellow and pink fleece; trace 40 petals total.
5. Using a paintbrush, paint the top of each petal in coordinating paint colors before cutting them out.
6. Once paint has dried, cut out all 40 pieces.
7. To help give the petal volume, fold each petal in half and sew a 1/2" dart at the bottom of each one.
8. Carefully open the dart, apply Fabric Fusion® across the bottom straight edge and press petal to pillow cover. Apply petals to accent pillow pillow cover one-by-one in a circular motion. Start from the inside and work out. Once the first inner circle of petals is completed, lightly lift those petals from the top and place more petals behind for the next layer. Continue this with each layer until flower is desired size.
9. Create the flower center of the pillow using the frayed edge from the saved piece of denim fabric. Apply a generous amount of Fabric Fusion® to the middle of flower; place the denim strip down in an upright position with the frayed edge on top. Hold the strip in place for a few seconds twirling it in a circular motion to create the flower center. Print free pillow ideas instructions.
Paisley Pillow Ideas
by Jo-Ann Fabric
SUPPLIES & TOOLS FOR 1 PILLOW:
• 2 yds Corduroy
• ½ yd Corduroy in contrasting color
• 9"x12" Felt squares, 2 each in coordinating colors
• 1 pkg Glitter buttons
Note: ½" seam allowance throughout this free pillow ideas.
Cut one strip main color corduroy 6"x72".
Cut two large paisley shapes of same corduroy.
Cut one small paisley shape of contrasting corduroy.
Glue or sew small paisley on one main color paisley for top.
Embellish top with felt shapes of choice and buttons. Sew or glue in place.
Sew the 6" edge of the long strip to make a large circle, leaving ½" open at top and bottom.
Place seam of strip at the point of the paisley top and sew all around.
Repeat with bottom, leaving a 6" opening for turning.
Turn and stuff.
Slip stitch opening closed. Print free pillow ideas instructions.