SUPPLIES & TOOLS FOR CHEAP PILLOWS:
• Pillow with removable cotton cover
• Fabricmate™ brush-tip pen
• 1/4 yd Cotton fabric in color that contrasts with pillow
• Embroidery thread to match contrasting fabric
• HeatnBond® Lite iron-on adhesive
• Water-erasable marking pen
• Masking tape
• Basic sewing supplies
• Sewing machine
• Iron & ironing surface
• Computer print-out of word for applique (make width of word about 2/3 width of pillow top)
DIRECTIONS FOR CHEAP THROW PILLOWS:
1. Remove pillow from cover. Wash, dry and iron pillow cover if needed.
2. Using ruler and water-erasable marking pen, draw parallel diagonal lines on pillow cover top.
3. With Fabricmate™ pen, write words of choice on pillow cover. Use marked diagonal lines as guidelines.
Repeat words as many times as needed. Note: Words could be those that define the main appliqued word.
Lightly dab diagonal lines with water to erase.
4. In daylight, tape print-out of applique word to window in reverse, or use a light box. Place the HeatnBond®
Lite iron-on adhesive, paper side up, on top of word and trace.
5. Press traced word to back of contrasting fabric and cut out word.
6. Remove paper backing, place on pillow cover and press in place with iron.
7. Satin stitch around the word, covering the raw edges of the applique.
8. Slip pillow back into pillow cover. Print free cheap throw pillows instructions.
Colorful & Fun!
Cheap Throw Pillows
by Jo-Ann Fabric
These little works of art are presented by JoAnn Fabric and are so much fun to make! Dress up a bed, sofa or chair with hand-stamped cheap throw pillows. These floral designs bloom with springtime style that’s contemporary yet quaint. Hand-write an array of inspirational words onto a solid-color pillow and finish with a word applique.
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• 1/3 yd Heavy cotton fabric similar to pillow color
• 1/8 yd each Organza in various colors
• Black embroidery thread
• Black thread for bobbin
• Light-colored threads to match organza
Transform the look of virtually any pillow with fashionable wraps, sleeves and pockets with these instructions for cheap throw pillows. They easily slide on and off pillows, allowing you to adapt your designs to changing seasons or décor. Floral embellished motifs in soft blues and greens are a welcome reminder that it’s time to thing spring.
1. Trim and straighten cotton fabric raw edges. Sew a small hem along one long edge.
2. Measure pillow top and cut the cotton fabric for the pocket double the length of the measurement plus 1" (ours is 33").
3. Using water-erasable pen, draw desired design on right side of the fabric.
4. Cut narrow strips of organza 2"-3" wide and place on pocket top overlapping the sheer fabric for added interest. Line up one end of each strip with unhemmed long edge and extend it beyond the hemmed edge at various lengths, ranging from 1 to 3 inches. Pin in place.
5. Using coordinating thread colors, sew the long edges of the organza down with a straight stitch.
6. With black embroidery thread on top, black thread in the bobbin, and using the free-motion foot, free motion sew following the markings on the fabric. Keep the lines light and sketchy for a casual pencil sketched look.
7. When “thread sketching” is complete, fold fabric, right sides together, in half short ends together and sew using a 1/2" seam allowance.
8. Fold flat with seam in the middle then sew along the unhemmed edge, forming a pocket. Turn right side out.
9. Place pocket on pillow. Print free decorative throw pillows instructions.